Magnetic Slime is a fun and messy science project for all ages. While you are making it your can discuss what Polymers are and talk about magnets and how you think they will react. Ingredients:
- Liquid starch – We used Sta-flo Liquid Starch
- Elmer's glue
- Iron Oxide Powder - I ordered this on Amazon
- Disposable bowls for mixing it up – saves washing slime out of dishes, & craft sticks for stirring.
- A neodymium (rare earth) magnet – I ordered these on Amazon. A regular magnet is not strong enough.
Kid-friendly discussion points:
- Polymers are made up of many molecules strung together (“poly” means “many”, and “mer” means “part”, so many parts put together).
- This particular polymer (slime) has properties similar to a liquid as it can take the shape of the container that it is in, but it also has the property of a solid since you can pick it up with your hands